Thursday, January 21, 2010

Whatever Happened To...Kajsa Ceder

OK, I'm still on my 'Teen magazine kick. I just recently picked up six 1984 issues from eBay, and as I page through them I get a warm and fuzzy feeling. Tickle antiperspirant, Silkience shampoo, Ralph Macchio movies...so many things we thought would be around forever, then one day they just weren't. And hey, if it weren't for the full-page ad on page 34 of the June issue, I would never have known that Beat Street was released on my birthday.

One thing I've started to wonder about is this: whatever happened to the 'Teen cover models? These were girls (well, they certainly seemed to be women to me, back then...today they look like children) whom I yearned to be just like. Yeah, yeah, beauty's only skin deep and all that, but somehow I was sure that all my troubles would vanish if I could only look just like Catherine Gilmour.



Yep, that's her. Why couldn't I get my eyes to open that wide? Dumb droopy eyelids. Whatever happened to Catherine Gilmour, anyway? She was the 1979 Rose Bowl Queen, then she went on to be a model (mostly for 'Teen, from what I can surmise...she seemed to be on virtually every cover between 1981 and 1983), she can briefly be glimpsed in the background in a single scene of the 1982 movie Night Shift (as a prostitute), and IMDB lists some one-shots on a handful of TV series from the early '80s. Then, post-1986...nothing. She apparently dropped off the face of the earth. 

So this entry isn't about whatever happened to Catherine Gilmour because what the hey, I didn't want to do that much work. Instead, we're going to find out whatever happened to Kajsa Ceder - a darned nice-looking girl, even if she wasn't the one I hoped and prayed I'd be once I grew up (and I turned out to look about as much like Kajsa as I did Catherine...which is to say, not at all).

Here's Kajsa, circa 1984, exercising her little heart out.




Like the pants? They're parachute pants. YES. 'member them?

Anyway, because of her name, I was convinced Kajsa was an exotic Scandinavian who probably spoke only a tiny bit of English with the coolest accent imaginable. Maybe she could introduce me to ABBA!



The above photo is from a March '84 article titled "A Day in the Life of a Model." In typical 'Teen fashion, we get a few sentences assuring us that being a model is "a lot of hard work" (Kajsa sometimes has to get up early to do her own hair and makeup!), then several paragraphs listing in meticulous detail everything she's wearing on her face and bod ("Two Blondes mesh top, S-M-L, $24, and scarf. T.A.C.I. belt. Burlington Socks sweat socks. Sporto hi-top sneakers. To flatter her complexion, she uses Ivory Shine Free Oil Control Makeup and Shell Pink Shine Free Oil Control Powder Blush." Believe it or not, that's a tiny fraction of the info we're given about the artifacts she's bedecked with.)

Anyway, you probably don't want to know all that, right? But I'll bet you're dying to know (as promised above) Whatever Happened To...Kajsa Ceder!

 

Turns out Kajsa is now a pilates instructor with her own studio in Topanga Canyon (a well-known hippie/new-age/kooky artist enclave in the greater Los Angeles area).According to her website, "as a trained Holistic Lifestyle Coach she combines her unique passion for health and wellness with a classical approach to Pilates. She is also trained in Somatic Respiratory Integration which is the process of releasing trauma and transforming ones awareness through breath." Yes, but does she do it all wearing purple parachute pants?

25 comments:

  1. Holy cow, this is great! I also was obsessive about 'Teen magazine in the early 80s and wanted so much to look like Catherine Gilmour or Kajsa Ceder -- in fact, I was just having a "I wonder whatever happened to..." moment when I googled KC and found your blog! I recall that Kathy Ireland was also on a lot of 'Teen covers but I wasn't impressed then. Wish I looked like her now, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erika,
    Well what a surprise. My daughter is away at camp and wanted to show her friends what her mother looked like as a model and your link came up! I am flatter really. It is a topic I wondered about myself, what ever happened to all those girls I modeled with, especially Catherine Gilmour. Catherine was so nice and there was Karrie too with the long dark hair.
    So to let you know I never teach in purple parachute pants! In fact, I always hated being dressed in pinks and purples and wearing bright makeup. I started taking Pilates classes when I was modeling to stay tone, it was a perfect that I am now a teacher as I love it so much!
    I thought I would see more of the Teen girls when I went to the Memorial/Models reunion is celebration of Nina Blanchard's life (our agent) but I did not. I hope I can inspire you to do more blogs on the other girls (now women) and what they are doing! Pitch the idea to Teen Magazine...ya never know!
    You pegged Topanga right!
    Kajsa Ceder
    I tried to send a profile shot with no luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny that someone else wondered about them as well. I found your blog because, like you, I was googling Catherine Gilmour and wondering what ever happened to her. What fond memories!

    Ami
    Roswell, New Mexico

    ReplyDelete
  4. North Dakota,
    She was always my idol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi from Singapore! I used to be an avid 'Teen magazine reader and loved Catherine Gilmour! So much so that I wrote a letter to the editor and they even published my letter! :-) Now, decades later, I suddenly reminisced my teenage years and wondered what happened to Catherine.... and stumbled upon your blog. Thanks for the post!

    Just wanted to share that when I was around 16, I wrote Catherine a fan mail, and she kindly replied, including her model composite card! Isn't she just awesome?! I'm not sure where it is now, but I hope to search for it when I next visit my Mom who still lives in our house where I grew up.

    If anyone reading this has leads to where Catherine Gilmour is today, it would be so great to re-connect with her. She doesn't seem to be on Facebook...

    Kind regards to all former 'Teen readers and fans/admirers of Catherine Gilmour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found Catherine Gilmour!
      http://www.lamodels.com/CatherineGilmour

      Delete
    2. Good work, Nancy Drew! Thanks!

      Delete
  6. I love that there are other people who remember the '80s 'TEEN magazine models. And I especially love that Kajsa herself chimed in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. I'm not quite seeing a resemblance between this woman and Catherine Gilmour. Are you sure?

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. Wow, you actually tracked her down...and she wasn't even tagged! You could give Jim Rockford a run for his money. ;-)

      Delete
    5. LOL!:) It's a hobby and a sickness :)

      Delete
  8. I've always wondered about another blue-eyed blonde favorite if mine: Petra Gunther. Nothing at all on her. I remember Kajsa too and Catherine, Pam Gidley, Meilani Figalan and others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is Meilani:

      https://www.facebook.com/meilani.hewett?fref=ts

      Delete
    2. Here is Pam Gidley:
      https://www.facebook.com/pamela.gidley?fref=ts

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you're still looking for Catherine Gilmour, she seems to be with LA Models. And she has had a dreadful time lately. http://deterforeclosure.com/judge-sides-with-former-rose-queen-victimized-by-charming-con-man-turned-rapist/

    I wish her the best...I certainly enjoyed seeing her on all those Teen covers back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, that's very sad. I hope things are going better for her now!

      Delete
  11. I remember Kajsa (but she would never remember me) since she was one or two years ahead of me at San Marcos Senior High in Santa Barbara, California. She and Kathy Ireland were the rage on campus!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sadly, model and actress Pamela Gidley died of undisclosed causes in April 2018. She was 52.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is amazing! I loved Teen Magazine so much and every once in a while do a search. I get so excited to see the covers and info like this and now I’m 54. Anyone remember the Lori Loughlin Maybelli e spread for the Back to School issue? It was several pages long and the eye shadow featured was a duo of gold/teal which I wore until it was “panned”! Catherine Gilmour was my faves well! Anyone remember the wedding cover? She had a while spread on her actual wedding. That dress was tiny appliquĆ©s of little flowers. So beautiful! I wish I could see those pics again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's incredible to me that this 13-year-old blog post is still being stumbled upon and read by people. It's so great to hear from my fellow former 'TEEN readers who are feeling nostalgic!

      Delete